NEW FOR 2020
Everyone must pre-register online for each race.
There will be no race day / on-site registration and race entry.
Race entries will close at 8:00 PM the night before each race.
No friends, family, parents, or specators are allowed this season due to gathering-size limitations.
* See Important 2020 Season Changes for more information *
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020
Location: Base of Highlands
Start Time: 6:00pm
Event Type: Road Race
Time Trial Option:
- Maroon Bells only: The TT will start near the entrance to the Aspen Highlands Ski Area on Maroon Creek Road. The course is approximately 7 miles in length with an elevation gain of 1400 ft. It finishes at the highest section of paved roadway, the bus stop loop next to the visitor center buildings at the end of Maroon Creek Road.
- Check out the Maroon Bells Strava Segment here
Reminder: *** Since this is a road race on open roads, Middle School Racers are NOT ELIGIBLE TO COMPETE****
Social Distancing Protocol and Start Times
To help ensure the safety of all racers, volunteers and staff, we will follow these protocols:
- All time trials will have pre-assigned start times through the web registration process.
- If this is your first race of the season, please check in and pick up your bib numbers at least 15 minutes before the first racer’s start time.
- You will receive your start time in advance of the race via email.
- Please arrive in the start queue no later than 30 seconds before your start time, but no earlier than 10 minutes before your start time. Do not congregate with other riders at the start or finish. Failure to meet this requirement will mean a forfeiture of start position and relegation to end of start list.
- We will not have start line holders for time trials. All racers must start from a full stop with one foot on the ground.
- Leave 6 feet of distance between yourself and other riders when passing or being passed. Announce yourself when passing.
- Individuals at high risk for COVID-19 are asked to stay home.
- If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, please stay home.
Regular Course Description: Both the short and long courses share the first 25 miles. From the start at Aspen Highlands ski area, racers turn left up Maroon Creek Road to the Maroon Bells. You will turn around at the exit to the main parking lot and descend back down past Aspen Highlands. In order to by-pass the roundabout on Highway 82, riders will be routed to Castle Creek via the bike path. You will enter the bike path from Maroon Creek Rd where it intersects with High School Road, after you have passed the Football Field and Bus Parking Lot for the Aspen School district. The bike path is a neutral zone – no racing and no passing! Please use care and ride cautiously through this portion of the route. You may encounter pedestrians on the path. Veer right on the bike path, uphill above the Aspen Chapel to Meadowood Drive. Take a left on Meadowood Drive and follow it to Castle Creek Road and take a right. Once on Castle Creek Road, the neutral section is over and it’s game on with an ascent up to Little Annie Road.
Short Course Finish: The short course will finish at the Little Annie Road (approximately 6.8 miles from the roundabout). The short course is 25 miles long with 2,600 feet of climbing.
Long Course Finish: From the short course finish at the Little Annie Road racers will continue up past Ashcroft to the end of the pavement at the top of the Castle Creek Road (approximately 12.9 miles from the roundabout). They will then turn around and ride back down to the finish line at the Little Annie Road. The long course is 36 miles with 3,400 feet of climbing.
The 200 meter sign will be displayed in both directions to give your lead-out man/woman the cue before the finish. Long course racers don’t confuse the 200m sign on the way up with your finish.
Waves / Start Times / Courses:
Wave 1: 6:00 PM – Long Course – Men’s A
Wave 2: 6:05 PM – Long Course – Women’s A, Men’s B
Wave 3: 6:10 PM – Short Course – All other categories
Volunteer: To sign up to marshal for this race or any race go to the Marshal Sign-Up
Race Check-In: All racers must verbally check-in at each mass start race regardless of membership level. Race check-in will take place from 5:00 PM to 5:45 PM at the start of the race (unless specifically noted otherwise). Please wear a mask when checking-in.
Check-in is not required for time trial races.
We will issue your race numbers at your first race. You will keep the same number for the entire season.
Categories: Click Here for more information about our race categories.
Race Cancellation Policy: PLEASE DO NOT PHONE OR TEXT THE RACE DIRECTOR FOR RACE CANCELLATION INFORMATION. In the event of inclement weather on race day, the Aspen Cycling Club Board of Directors will communicate with the Race Director to determine the Club’s ability to operate a race that is reasonably safe for competitors, and, for mountain bike races, preserves the integrity of local trails. All racers should assume that a final decision will be made at the start line by the race director. However, when possible, the Board of Directors will alert racers of a race cancellation prior to the start by emailing the Club email group, and posting on the website and the ACC Facebook page by 5pm.
Refund Policy: Race entry fees are non-refundable.